Thursday, April 26


The cat with one black shoe
By Alex Carrier

Have you seen a cat with one black shoe? I know it has only one shoe because I have the other. I’m sure I had both just yesterday. I did not notice myself listing when I walked.

Yet, here I stand with one lonely shoe in hand. Not expensive shoes. Not new shoes. Not Manolo Blahnik’s or Jimmy Choo’s.

Certainly Sex in the City would not feature this shoe and no housewife is desperate enough to ask for it at a fancy store but the missing shoe matches a perfectly good shoe and I would like to have it back.

I know the cat that has the shoe, because it is my cat Zoie. Out of 2 cats and 2 dogs, she is the only creature in the house interested in my shoes. I do not think this is out of any love for me but because shoes – well, they smell and animals seem to like smell.

I am sure it is my cat since she does not do untoward things with my husband’s shoes but then she could fit inside my husband’s shoe and I do pride myself on having much smaller footwear. This cat is a huntress and she loves to hunt my shoes. I guess the smell makes them easy to find.

She loves to hunt, kill and then carry off one shoe. If only she would take two, I might think I had simply misplaced them and move on to another pair or perhaps, even forget about the shoes entirely since there would be no lonesome, pathetic shoe crying out to be reunited with its mate. (I understand that by nature, shoes are monogamous and if one of the pair dies, the mate meets its demise soon after.)

So, I have one shoe. A black shoe, worn and scuffed and bulging at the seams and useless without its partner.

I would give it up but, I like these shoes. They are that rare footwear find – a comfortable fit. These are “my feet are killing me and I know the heat has expanded them two sizes and I would go barefoot only my feet hurt too much to walk on them” shoes.

Have you seen a cat with one black shoe?
Photo of Zoie by Alex Carrier

If you like this blog read our free web magazines Virginia Greene http://www.vgreene.com/ and Greene Lite www.vgreene.com/greenelite.
© 2007 Virginia Greene

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home