Saturday, March 18

A Poem, A Port, A Remembrance and
Greene Revelry

St. Patrick's Day
A poem by guest author Anna Alexander


Oh St Patrick’s Day is almost here
My calendar proclaims
And I have fallen back in time
Wishing I were young again
When all my world seemed green
And all my life was cheer
With the fragrance of corned beef
And a pail from the local pub of green beer

My Irish gramma held court at table with her tea
While her softened sibilants whispered words to me
Of times and places I am not sure
Were only in her mind , but how I loved those lovely words
And longed myself to see
The places that she spoke about to me

The kitchen was a castle and her chair a throne
My mother was a cook with charm
Her spoon it was a scepter
And dinner was a feast
Of boiled cabbage and corned beef.

We all wore something green
Mother would bake a cake
The frosting an emerald sheen
Smiles and laughter ; order of the day .
No one frowned or looked down ,
I wish it were so today

For life it was so simple then
When all I had to do was just be me
Safe and loved in the family nest
The memories that I recall
From my childhood days
These were ….THE BEST-MOMENTS OF THEM ALL

Anna Alexander 3/15/05©

For more positive entertainment, information and inspiration be Irish for the week with
Virginia Greene ezine
more poems by Anna Alexander along with an essay titled
"Little Grandma: A Remebrance"
Port Dingle Diaries "A Commodore for St. Patrick's Day" by Virginia Greene
Boomer Journeys "A Pinch of Greene for St. Patricks' Day" by Alex Carrier
Greene Lite ezine
"Wear Your Greene Proud" by Lou Page
"A very special Hope" by Alex Carrier
PLUS - a recipe for grilled spicy sweet potatoes and more about the revelry and other activies in the Greene County area - including
Kid Pan Alley pictures and review

New issues coming out on Wednesday, March 22

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home