Tuesday, February 7


Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice.
BEETLE JUICE!?!

By Alex Carrier



Reality bites.

I adore licorice. As a child, I loved taking those twists of black candy, tying them in knots and making them into odd shapes. I could play with this sweet edible and skip the whole “don’t play with your food” lecture. It was candy heaven.

The licorice sweetness turned my lips, teeth, tongue and mouth into a magnificent grossness that left adults disgusted.

Children love to disgust adults. It is power. It is fun.

As a teenager, I added ice cream to my licorice list. In our town, couples often ended dates at the local ice cream parlor.

The parlor served my two favorite flavors. The bubble gum was cold, creamy Bazooka in a bowl. The licorice colored my mouth and everything in it a delectable slate black hue for hours.

I found this most helpful when encouraging unpalatable dates not to me kiss good-night. Eating licorice ice cream rendered my lips ideally – unkissable.

As an adult, I fell for those lovely little bites of licorice deliciously hidden inside white and purple shells of candy goodness.

Which brings me to reality.

I was savoring one of those candy-coated licorice delights while watching the news. As cruel fate would have it, the featured story concerned the use of ground up beetles to add red color to foods. Yech!

Then reality (remember how cruel it can be) reared its ugly head to inform me that my beloved licorice confection (the one in my mouth at that very moment) was colored with ground up beetles. Yech!

What tragedy. Each crunch of candy reverberating through my head sounded like a stepped on beetle. Yech!

I am currently seeking another yummy variation of my licorice love and I have determined that next time reality bites – I am going to bite back!

If you like this blog, read more by these authors at www.vgreene.com/greenelite
For information on all authors and content, go to http://www.vgreene.com/
© 2006 Virginia Greene

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the photo and thanks for posting my poem I am so proud of this whole group of young women who are using thier talents and abilities to offer a web site that features beauty and articles that offer information and fun things If you havent clicked on how to make a snowflake DO SO IT IS A FUN THING TO DO

Sun Feb 12, 09:00:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home